Pages

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Current Skincare :: July 2011

Confession: I've never been into skincare.

Acne runs in my family and I have pretty average skin. The last couple of years it's been 100x better, but I still have mild acne.

The only thing I've ever done in the way of skin care is the occasional face mask and I remove my makeup everyday with a wipe. For a while I used St Ives Apricot Exfoliater.

I recently went to LUSH and picked up a couple of things, as well as getting a huge box of Innoxa skincare off a one-day site recently.

I've been using these products for a month now:

Cleanser:

Dark Angels - Deep, dark, cleanser for young, dark and oily skin. A black, squidgy scrub with charcoal to absorb oils and exfoliate your skin. Nutritious avocado oil softens, glycerine keeps the moisture in and black sugar softly scrubs; rhassoul mud is anti-microbial and cleanses deeply, while sandalwood and rosewood essential oils are soothing, giving you a feeling of smooth, clean freshness that is difficult to beat.

Yes, this cleanser is black, and yes it is messy. I use this around every four days. It makes my skin feel really smooth and soft. It is a little harsh, as in my face is a bit red after using.


Coalface - Soothing liquorice and charcoal cleansing bar. Ground up charcoal is very good for your skin. It helps to absorb excess sebum from the skin’s surface and acts as a mild exfoliator. We put it into CoalFace with softening liquorice root, and rosewood and sandalwood essential oils, rumoured to help cells regenerate and to slow the arrival of wrinkles. Although coal and diamond are both made of the carbon molecule, in this case, charcoal is a girl’s (or boy’s) best friend.

I use this 5-6 times a week in the shower in the morning. It's black, but lathers like a soap, so it doesn't go on black. It's very gentle on my skin and leaves it smooth - although not as much as Dark Angels.

Toner:

Tea Tree Water - Ah, tea tree: how do we love thee? Tea tree is extremely soothing and can work wonders on troubled or oily skin. We’ve also added juniper berry and grapefruit waters to refresh and gently tone with natural oils. Use this throughout the day to help tackle blemishes and lift your spirits.

I was using this twice a day, but I've started using it once a day. I'm not sure it's making much of a difference. Can someone explain toners to me? I don't really understand what the point of them is. Has anyone noticed a great difference by using one?


Moisturiser:

Skin Balance Oil-Free Rebalancing Lotion - An oil-free, easily-absorbed lotion that uses breakthrough ingredient AC Net™ to actively regulate oil. ZinClear™, the latest in sunscreen technology, helps protect against environmental damage.
This was part of the set I bought, and the first one I have used. I haven't noticed any difference using it. I use it twice a day.

2 comments:

  1. Your skin sounds so so simliar to mine, I've been using the Lush Angels on Bare Skin but that Dark Angel one looks so interesting I actually think mine is making a difference in my skin. I don't ever tone my face either, I haven't found they do much and really have no idea what they're for. That Coalface soap look interesting, does it smell like liquorice because I think I've picked it up in a Lush store before and the smell was really potent, but it might have been something else.

    I enjoy this post, I am thinking of sharing my skincare routine too see if anyone has any other tips etc on red skin. It's my biggest hate that I have red skin and so far I haven't found anything that reduces redness.

    xo
    Katelyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I originally went in to get Angels on Bare skin, but the woman working there said either herbalism or dark angels would be better for me.

    Coalface doesn't have a very strong smell, not so I've noticed anyway!

    ReplyDelete